Thursday, November 22, 2012

OH HAPPY DAY (short little thanksgiving post GOBBLE GOBBLE)

This time last year Chanelle and I were sharing a janky studio apartment on a sketchy street in West LA. We both didn't have cars. Well Chanelle did have a possessed one that was evil and out to get us and was basically the Voldemort of cars, but we like to pretend that didn't happen. 

This time last year I was working two jobs, one at a restaurant and one in retail. We didn't have a group of friends yet. I didn't have a bed or a proper refrigerator and I was so homesick it made my head spin.

I look back on all that has changed since last Thanksgiving and I am really, truly, genuinely amazed. I don't care if it's cliche to write about what we are thankful for on Thanksgiving, but it's true. I simply sit back and I'm amazed at all that has happened. And I am so excited for what God has planned ahead.

The thing is, gratitude and thankfulness don't come naturally. Greed, dissatisfaction, anger, impatience, gossip - THESE things come naturally to me. In fact they're pretty easy to dwell on and sit on and let consume me. It is an active process to feel thankful and grateful and to keep that mindset. To wake up and think, "God, THANK YOU. I fall to my knees and praise YOU!"

Instead I usually wake up and think, "I'm hungry. I wish I made more money. Wish my apartment was nicer. Wish I was skinnier. Wish wish wish wish WANT WANT WANT." It is EXHAUSTING. 

So this Thanksgiving I am so grateful for all that God has done in my life and I look forward to where He is always taking me. I am thankful that He sent His one and only son to die on a cross for me and the whole wide world. I am thankful for my family. Chanelle. Friends, old and new. For the sunny Los Angeles sky, for the ocean. For decaf coffee. For those moments when an amazing song comes on in my car and I blast it as loud as I want. Christmas music. Food. Love. Laughter. 

So let's give some Thanks for once. It's kind of counter-cultural and awesome and so much better than thinking of all the things we want and wish we could have. Let's forget about Black Friday and just enjoy what we are so blessed to have. 


Random Thanksgiving thought: Do you think a baby turkey is cute Y or N and do you think I could maybe cuddle with one?

xoxooxoxox

love ya ya big lugz. EAT YO TOIKEY



1 comment: