Thursday, October 25, 2012

10 little things i'm grateful for everyday

1. Decaf Coffee

It was a dark, ominous day when my doctor looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Nina you are not allowed to have any more caffeine."

Which I immediately translanted into, "Nina your life is over and you will now be depressed."

BUT GUESS WHAT DOC YOU CAN'T BRING ME DOWN (NO NO NO NO NO...OOOH--WOO--OOOOH) Sidenote: everyone go listen to ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" right now because it's simply amazing.

Anyway - listen, I've been drinking coffee since I was 13. In 8th grade I got a job as a shampoo girl at my aunt's hair salon she owned. I washed hair and got tips and even learned how to dye hair and it was seriously the best after-school job ever. I also had to make coffee for the shop and pretty soon I became addicted. So when my doctor told me my caffeine addiction was causing my anxiety attacks and tension headaches and I needed to quit cold turkey, I nearly went into hysterics. Actually, I did. I had a migraine for a week, cried a lot and asked my mom repeatedly if I had to go to the ER. After all of these shenanigins I started to enjoy decaf coffee and now I am deeply grateful for it. There's nothing like a cuppa coffee in the morning - I look forward to it from the minute my eyes open. It reminds me of everything good - it's comforting and cozy and reminds me of gray skies walking along the Hudson in New York and listening to good music and all of my friends and just EVERYTHING GREAT. 

2. The lighting in my bedroom

My room has the prettiest morning light and I am grateful for it. 

3. The kindness of strangers

Everyday a stranger is kind to me. It shouldn't feel rare, but I think it is. I try to pay attention more to when someone I don't know is genuinely nice to me. For instance, the other day on the lot. Was just walking back to the Page office and this guy had a bunch of coffees in a box he'd just gotten from the Coffee Bean. I think he was an assistant or something on a show or maybe he just really liked coffee, I don't know, I'm not here to judge. Anyway I was walking and happened to look over at him and he said something like, "I'm just really thirsty" and I shot back with some witty banter and he was all like, "Hey, you want one?" He told me he had an extra nonfat latte and I could have it if I wanted it. Of course I took it and was just like WHAT PEOPLE ARE SO NICE. So the next time I think something along the lines of "GRRRR the world is mean why can't I just live in the Shire?!?!?!" I'll remember the kindness of strangers and take a chill pill or something. 

4. The cute guy that I pass every morning

Sup.

5.  Netflix

Oh Netflix. Oh my beautiful, crimson-screened little dumpling. Where do I even start? Are there words that could even begin to describe the sheer depth of my gratitude for you? I don't know if I should be worried that as a 23 year old woman living in one of the best cities in the United States my ideal evening consists of Yogurtland and a night of Netflix. Seriously. In the past year my love of television has grown exponentially. I'd say at this moment in time I love television more than movies. I KNOW HERESY RIGHT? But I think we're in somewhat of a "Golden Age" in TV right now. There are SO many amazing TV shows out there. And there's something special about a television series - you can grow with the characters, watch the writing escalate, you can have your heartstrings pulled season after season. You're not left to wonder 90 minutes later about the unsatisfied pit in your stomach that sometimes comes with movies. Listen, I LOVE movies. But I am GEEKING out over television right now. So thank you Netflix, for sleepless nights and red-rimmed eyes and all-consuming obsessions with my favorite shows out there. As Mr. Darcy would say, "You have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love and love and love you."

6. His grace

(I guess this one's technically not so "little" but I still take it for granted too often). 

I mess up every single day. I'm cranky, I complain, I'm impatient, I doubt, I stress, I worry. The list goes on and on. And everyday, EVERY SINGLE DAY, I am forgiven. WHAT? I still can't comprehend this. I think that's part of the reason a lot of people have a hard time believing God can even exist. How can there be a greater power that loves so many sinful, hateful people? But that's crazy to me. That God looks at the least of us and knows our name - it doesn't matter to Him how much money we make, how many connections we have, what kind of car we drive. God looks into our souls and sees the depths of our hearts. WHICH IS UM, TERRIFYING. Because the depth of my heart is probably a little dark, not going to lie. But I can't sit here and just dwell on how terrible of a person I am or why I don't deserve His love. Because that's the thing, we don't deserve it and wahh-lahhhh this precious gift is ours to take. And then when I sit and dwell in His love and I feel it pour over me and I realize how small I am in such a great, big world I realize the point of it all - to become more like Jesus. This radical man who is the Son of God - a perfect man, God in a human incarnate - IT IS MIND BLOWING. I want to be like that. I want to love like Him. I want to care like Him and live in this world to bring His name to glory. 

7. Andrew Garfield's Hair

For the past few months my most-read blog has continued to be An Open Letter to Andrew Garfield's Hair. And hey, I still dig it.

8. Amy Winehouse

Lately I've been OBSESSING over her music. Ugh. Ugh. UGH!!!! Back to Black is seriously...wait there's no words. She's amazing. Simply. My car's been in the shop so I've been walking everywhere and listening to her on Pandora and I can't even stop because her voice, it is so rich and she's just perfect. Do your ears a favor and listen to her and they will love you forever. They'll be all like, "We looveeeee you, rest of body!" And you'll be like, "Oh ears. I love ya, ya big lug."

9. My job

I am employed, PRAISE DA LAWD. And I get to walk around a movie studio all day and that's not so bad AT ALL. I complain too much about stuff but I want to stop complaining about my job because I really am just very blessed.

10. My family and friends

Sure this may be a little predictable but it's the truth. Whenever I get upset or stressed I need to sit back and remember there are people in this world who love me. Even though I'm cray-cray, they love me and I love them and every day I want to be a better daughter, sister and friend. 

SO SINCE IT'S ALMOST THANKSGIVING IN LIKE A MONTH HEY THIS SEEMED LIKE A GOOD POST. A LITTLE CHEESY AND GOOEY BUT I LOVE CHEESY GOOEY THINGS SO go on ya big lugs! Be grateful! It's GrEaT~* 









No comments:

Post a Comment