Wednesday, April 11, 2012

things that make me so happy i could sprout a unicorn horn out of my forehead

POP MUSIC
There's no denying my love of pop music. There's no way I'm even close to being ashamed of it. How could I be ashamed of something that is so purely good? This is the thing y'all. I'm driving home from work. The SoCal sun be shinin' bright, I'm cruisin' in my 2003 Nissan Sentra AKA a ballin' whip, and Carly Rae comes on. HAVE YOU HEARD HER SONG YET? "Call Me Maybe" and One Direction's "What Makes You Beautiful" ARE MY JAMS RIGHT NOW. Of course, there's always the classic "Dynamite" but seriously.....it's just the greatest feeling. I know I'm living in LA where everyone is super trendy and I should be listening to some obscure alternative band that isn't really "indie" but isn't "mainstream" and who is probably from like, Wales or Sweden or something, but I just don't care. I DON'T CARE I TELL YA, YA BIG LUGS! 

PLAIN TART FROYO
I probably shouldn't be writing about this because my mom reads my blog and then she'll know how much money I spend on froyo. It's kind of embarrassing. Lately I've been a lot better about it, but it's something about the craving that takes over me that renders me completely helpless. I like to call it "the hunger." The Hunger is what happens when I'm really thirsty and it's really hot outside and I pass Yogurtland. And all of a sudden I'm imaging the delicious PLAIN TART yogurt with strawberries, mochi balls and granola. This is the perfect combination; any deviation from this combination results in a tasteless, stupid treat. I feel very passionately about plain tart. Just see the name on my facebook in parenthesis. 

TITANIC IN 3D
This really deserves an entire blog post of its own, but whatever. Last week I saw Titanic in 3D and when I say I sobbed, I MEAN I LITERALLY SOBBED. Like, sat in my seat and bawled for ten minutes after the movie ended, all the way to the bathroom and pretty much the entire ride home. I was not prepared for this y'all. And although you might be thinking, "How in the world does this constitute as being something so happy it could potentially cause you to turn into a unicorn?" Because it's the good kind of painful, the kind of weeping and heartbreak and soul-shatter that feels good in a magical, story kind of way. Do you understand what Titanic means for me? I grew up watching the movie. I saw it in theaters when I was still in elementary school. My whole family went and looking back now that seems super weird, but at the time it was amazing. Epic. 

And then when I was in high school I would listen to the soundtrack every night as I fell asleep. Also another thing that seems a little weird looking back, but at the time it was perfect. And you know what? It still is perfect to think about. As I sat there in the Paramount theatre, my high-tech 3D glasses firmly in place, tears of nostalgia running down my face, I was transported back to my old bedroom. To falling asleep every night to Enya's voice during that epic scene when Titanic sets sail. UGH! And then inevitably waking up in the middle of the night to that terrifying part of the soundtrack when the boat sinks....pretty scary, but still. I listened to the soundtrack as I read "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" AKA "The Book That Will Shatter Your 15 Year Old Heart Into A Million Pieces." I think of these times with an old familiarity. Watching Titanic in 3D reminded me of who I am in a bizarre way. Of the truest form of myself--a super nerdy, outgoing, curly-haired, chubby little bookworm obsessed with reading and other time periods. You can read about my preoccupation with colonial times here. Anyway. I could go on and on about what Titanic means to me, but I'll end there or else I'll just end up sobbing forever.


I'll leave you all with this image as we are just a few short weeks away from the 1 year anniversary of the Royal Wedding!!!


Gosh I can't believe it's already been almost a year Big Willy! Lovez ya!!! xxx 




No comments:

Post a Comment