Wednesday, August 31, 2011

the problem with falling in love with fictional characters

Jim Halpert. Are there even words?

Guys, I have to admit I've struggled with something these past few years..."few" being a generous term since it's really been since I was like, eleven. It's something I can't really control and something that might be slowly ruining my life. I'm completely dramatic logical when it comes to love. Because I keep falling in love and getting my heart broken. And these men that I keep falling in love with? 

Ah, yes. Fictional characters.

It happened when I was five or so. I think my mom might have taken me to see 'The Lion King' in theatres and I remember having a HUGE crush on Simba. WAIT--what? Ewww! He's an animal! AND he's a cartoon! That's like a double wammy. But goodness did that slight mane and edgy bravery and the way he looked at Nala send my little five year old heart a flutter. The best was during Hakuna Matata when Simba is crossing that log with Timon and Pumbaa and he's like, in that teenager stage for like a second and has a spiky mini-mane--WHAT A BABE!

Oh the smolder....

Now that I've sufficiently weirded most of you out, I'm going to continue.
My love of fictional characters (in the male form) didn't end there. It continued on with the likes of one Ronald Weasley...the little boy in that book Flipped .. Zigzag from Louis Sachar's "Holes." And then on and on the list goes--from Mr. Darcy to Colin Firth in "Love, Actually" to Jack Dawson (you own my heart early twenties Leo) to River Phoenix's Eddie Birdlace in "Dogfight" to Peter Pevensie to Jim Halpert to Tom Hansen (JOSEPH GORDON LEVITT YOU MUST BE EXACTLY LIKE THAT ROLE, RIGHT?) to Mr. Coulson in "Never Been Kissed." There are so many. And it's really starting to mess with my BRAIN.


Josie Grosie was so lucky!
I think it's good for girls to have high standards. In fact, I think too many girls (and guys) settle for someone who doesn't treat them right only because they are afraid to be alone. But at the same time, where is the line drawn? And I'm not saying go for the Chris Brown dude...I'm just saying, something messes with me when I watch a movie like...."The Notebook" and I think "WHY CAN'T A GUY WRITE ME LETTERS EVEN WHEN WE'RE FAR APART?!" Most guys flinch at the term "long-distance." Damn you Noah for loving Allie so much!!


I digress. I guess what I'm saying is, for someone like me who loves movies and books so much, it's easy for me to say in my brain, "I'm never going to date anyone who isn't Flynn Rider from 'Tangled.'" But that is silly. Because 1. Flynn Rider doesn't exist. 2. He's a 2D. That would never work.

I guess I'm just afraid of disillusioning myself so much to the point that no guy I meet will make me as happy as Jim Halpert makes Pam. But that's silly, right? Because I see beautiful marriages all the time and I see Christ reflected so much in them. Of course real love exists but it's still scary. Movie and book love is safe because it's not real. And I think when I do meet the man I'm supposed to be with, Prince Eric won't hold a candle to him. Because as Matthew Gray Gubler says in '500 Days of Summer' ... he'll be better than the man of my dreams. He'll be real. 

did anyone else think Lumiere had a little somethin somethin? no? just me?
awkward...


Obviously, you can tell I have my priorities straight. Fretting over ficitonal characters ruining my dating life when I don't even have a dating life. But isn't that the brain of most 22 year old girls? And is it so wrong of me to want to be swept off of my feet by a guy? I am content with where I am, I like being single, but is it bad to sometimes daydream of what it will be like to fall in love? Not that I'm ready! There I go with the disclaimers! AH! Have I completely branded this blog super girly from this post? I think I've been re-reading 'Hunger Games' too much. #TEAMGALE!!!

 Who knows. But please, tell me I'm not the only one out there who continually falls for fictional characters? I can't be the only one!


7 comments:

  1. My best friend loves the two main characters from the animated The Road to El Dorado; so never fear, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how are most definitely not the only one my dear!
    where can i start..hmm..
    Legolas
    Mr Darcy
    Damon (the Vampire diaries)
    Sawyer (Lost)
    Michael (My Best Friend's wedding)
    Patrick Jane (The Mentalist)
    Dean (Supernatural)
    I could go on and on and on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah dear girl,
    Disney and many other movies and books help us see possibilities and it is possible to have everything you envision and want. Real is a lot better than fictional characters but there is nothing wrong with dreaming. Besides that's what fairy tales are for to teach us what's good from what's bad. It's the time of all good movies and books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely not alone! My list is miles long...hahaha. aaaaand I'm happily married with the perfect guy for me :)

    But I must disagree with you on one thing...Team Peeta!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely do as well. I have a ton on my list but Ron Weasley and Peeta would definitely top my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...I definitely have an obsession with fictional characters:

    Damon Salvatore (Vampire Diaries)
    Edward Cullen (Twilight)
    Jacob Black (Twilight)
    Sawyer (LOST)
    Ron Weasley (HP)
    Nathan Scott (OTH)
    Eric Northman (True Blood)
    Peeta (Hunger Games)
    Jace Wayland (Mortal Instruments)

    And...any character from J.R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood.

    It's bad. Real bad.

    Love your blog though :)
    http://thewrittenword-jlr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Story of my life right here....I feel like every time I watch a movie or start watching another tv show I fall in love with someone and am sure we would be perfect with each other.

    One time I saw an actor who played one of my favorite characters doing an interview. He was so different from the character he played that I started making a distinction between who I was in love with. I was in love with the fictional character...not the real live person who played him.

    ReplyDelete