Wednesday, June 8, 2011

gin blossoms (the only form i like gin)

"In the green of the grass....in the smell of the sea....in the clouds floating by....at the top of a tree....in the sound crickets make at the end of the day....


'You are loved. You are loved. You are loved,' they all say." 
-Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You by: Nancy Tillman (children's book)

Have you ever heard God whisper to you? It mostly happens in the strangest times....like tonight. I had just gone to Starbucks after visiting Borders and having my heart broken (I had to put a book back on the shelf that I DESPERATELY wanted to buy, but I still have to finish Narnia and I'm trying to be smart with my money...but legit, it was painful not buying it....books are my weakness). Lately I've taken to evening Starbucks runs by myself. It's the best way for me to decompress after a long day. I love driving alone, blaring my music and getting my delicious iced caramel macchiato and just....loving every sip and minute. Going to Starbucks and Borders is just such a comfort to me. But anyway.

I was driving home. Outside was that summer thick haze you can just feel through the car. The sun is setting, everything seems lazy with a hum-hum of fireflies and busy bees. I love it. I love summer. I was sick of the radio so I pushed the CD player in my car and all of a sudden I was serenaded by the Gin Blossoms and I just felt....peace. Gosh, the Gin Blossoms are such a good band, huh? Reminds me of being fourteen and watching Empire Records and wishing I was Liv Tyler.....it made me excited to fall in love one day but at the same time be content with where I am right now.....isn't it crazy how music can do that to you? How art can move you?

I was just thinking about that today. I think art is one of God's most precious blessings on earth. Art moves people. It lifts people away, whisks them off to another world--gives you goosebumps. I love many different forms of art--literature (poetry, novels), paintings, sculptures....music....but my most favorite, the form of art my heart belongs to is movies. Film. 


God whispers to me through movies the way I hear Him in the waves of the sea, the crickets music in the summer, the clouds floating by..... When I am deeply moved by a movie, I can't help but feel God gave me that passion for a reason. Which is why I bought a one-way plane ticket to Los Angeles, California for August 27th.

Guys...I'm excited. My heart is free, light and I feel....ready. And not ready. And terrified and already homesick but mostly just....AMAZED. In the words of my dear friend Belle (my favorite Disney princess) --"I want adventure in the great wild somewhere...I want it more than I can tell."

Oh how I do! And Lord, I want to surrender it all to You..... I love this feeling of half reckless abandonement, half courage. I have no idea how God is going to use me in California. But I am excited to find out. It probably won't look anything like my own little plan and that is just fine. I am just excited that the ticket is bought, it is really happening. Wowowowowowow.

What is God whispering to you? How does He whisper to you? I love talking to people and seeing their gifts...passions...talents....what makes them who they are. It's beautiful. I'm tired so this blog entry is so scattered but all I can think about is God makes us all so unique, so wonderful, so special!!! Oh let us not lose sight of that, and let us always give the glory back to the Lord--it's all His. I love that....Lord, it's all for you!!

me, california crusin' spring break 2010. can't wait to be back!






1 comment:

  1. The Gin Blossoms are amazing. Empire Records is great. And your passion for film and the Lord are really inspiring. I love that you want to use that passion and interest to glorify Him.. I really need to figure out how to do that in the things I want to do in life. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete