Tuesday, June 14, 2011

aliens make me all.....sappy?

It's as cold as it always is in a movie theatre and the smell of the air conditioning filters through my senses, reminding me of the countless times I've been to this movie theatre all the summers of my life. There is something wonderful and nostalgic about going to the movies in the summertime. It's a familiarity I enjoy. 

It happens again as I hear the crunch-crunch of fellow movie-goers munching on their popcorn, sipping their Coca-Colas...this pull at my heartstrings. My eyes are round as they absorb the story unfolding on the big screen and that craving comes back, that incessant little drumbeat that picks up rhythm whenever I am in the audience. 

I want this. I want this. 

It's the glassy eyes of the lead as he delivers an impressive performance for a 15 year old who's never been in anything before. It's the loud explosions that send my adrenaline running, that little tomboy part of me that wants to scrape my knees in an old lot and blow things up and laugh when someone trips but really, I don't mean to laugh. It's the music that tells of the relationship between two people on screen without them even saying a word. It's the running, the screaming, it's the way the entire audience yells and shrieks when the calm before the storm is broken by the screeching of an alien or an explosion or a car crash.

It takes me away to other moments and the way I feel then. The movie montage at the Oscars every year that gets me all teary-eyed and usually results in a fist pump to the air and a feeling of hope that dissipates  the next day when I go back to my daily routine of running toward a goal, knowing that I must hold strong to the hope instead of letting it slip away. It takes me away to other moments, like the way I cried the first time I saw 'Stand By Me' when River Phoenix is all like, "Not if I see you first," and I was all like, "Dude, why'd you have to go and get addicted to drugs?" Because it's just so good and he's just so good....

I have to remind myself I'm just in a small town kind of crappy movie theatre watching an alien movie. I'm probably the only one having this ridiculous, epic moment of 'This is what I was put here to do!' This conversation with God, where it's like:

Me: Hey God. Ummm, I really, really want to do this whole making movies, being in movies, writing thing with my life. And I want to glorify You in it all. Can You help make it happen?

Matthew 6:33-34

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.



Right. It doesn't matter. As I sit in my squeaky movie theatre seat, watching the kids on screen run and yell and say witty one-liners only a thirty/forty something with a degree in film and television/writing could produce, I feel peace fall over me. I lean over, take a sip of my diet coke and know that if I'm pursuing the Lord everyday, I need not worry so much. God has a plan, a big, big plan. Do I know that plan? No. Do I trust it? Absolutely. 

And for right now, sitting in a dark movie theatre watching an alien soar back to his universe, I think, for today it is simply enough. 




3 comments:

  1. If a movie is good, I am completely in love with the idea of film and Hollywood all over again.

    If it's bad, I want to kick down the Hollywood sign.

    At any rate, both of those emotions make me want to keep writing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super 8 was fantastic. Loved it. In many ways it reminded me of Stand By Me, another mind-blowingly good film. I'm a sucker for coming of age stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Super 8 was so good! I'm also a fan of coming-of-age stories. Thanks for these comments!!!! (:

    ReplyDelete