Sunday, April 3, 2011

licking the foam off of a latte kinda day

church today was really, really nice. first of all, today was a beautiful day. one of those sunny, warmer-than-usual, sigh-inducing mornings where you wake up and think "i want to go for a long run, or lie down in a meadow, or be in the general vacinity of said meadow" kind of day. i went to church by myself but was pleasantly surprised when i got to sit with an old friend from young life summer staff and my mom even came to church and surprised me! it was a really good service too.

the pastor talked about friendship, which really spoke to me because lately since graduating college i've been reflecting on certain relationships/friendships in my life. the phrase 'quality over quantity' comes to mind. i am amazed by the blessings God has given me in life, but i am forever blown away by the true friendships in my life. the older i get the more i seem to realize how rare true friends are. it's kind of sad but also makes you appreciate those people in your life that make you think, YES. this person. they matter. so much in my life. 

i've been feeling nostalgic lately which is kind of silly because i'm 21! i'm in the prime of my youth, and i'll only be young once! (name that movie quote) but seriously. i think of all the good times at NYU i had--the silly videos i made with friends, the plays i was in, the opportunities that came along to perform my poetry, all the silly crushes i told my best friends about and we laughed about--all of it, compiled into 3.5 years. i still can't believe my college experience is over. well, undergraduate college experience. but still--people always mention 'those college years' as being the best time of your life, and mine are already over!!! i feel so....old.

the pastor today talked about how 20 years can fly by in an instant. i understand that. i am 21. i'm done college. i remember being five, ten, seventeen--so very clearly. i am a vapor, here one second and gone the next. how mind-boggling is that?

i always think that if we, as human beings, truly understood and believed that one day we are going to die, we would live differently. radically. unafraid. the other day i was flipping through my bible and a certain passage caught my eye: 2 timothy 4:7 "i have fought the good fight, i have finished the race, i have kept the faith" -- WOW. i want so desperately to be able to say that when i meet Jesus. that is the cry of my heart, why i am put on this earth at all. what a sweet blessing, what an undeserved gift.

today after church, after taking a walk with my mom, after eating a nice, warm meal i took the car and drove to starbucks and got a vanilla latte because I LOVE VANILLA LATTES and i sat in my parked car before i turned it on, i took off the lid of the latte and licked all the foam off the top. and it was delicious. and it was good and a little moment where i felt peaceful and simply enjoyed where i was in that moment. i want to remember those little moments--the licking the foam off the latte kind of moments--that fill the pages of my life-journal. they are important and small and beautiful and just make my heart happy.

Lord, teach me to be a better friend. help me appreciate so deeply the friendships you have blessed me with. i love and love and love you.

John 15:13  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


Love & foamy lattes,
Nina.





5 comments:

  1. Mmmm...I had the same kind of day. Spent hours at Starbucks talking with a good friend. Dreaming, laughing, crying, just enjoying the moment. :)

    Sometimes when I read your blog, I feel like you're in my head. It's weird, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELSEY!!! thank you for your comments. it was so nice getting to meet you that one brief time--i hope we get to hang out again!!! you are awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you a Young Life Leader? Where did you summer staff?! I have had the privilege of leading for the last 2 yrs, and it has been so rewarding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful post! I really like that verse from 2 Timothy. I think if all of us truly lived our lives every single moment for God, what a difference that would make in our lives and in others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, i love this. i've been struggling in the friend area of my life, just with the quality of friendships and such and this was a nice reminder to appreciate the friends i have that i know will be there.

    and i feel how you do about your vanilla latte, except with a soy caramel one. :)

    ReplyDelete