Wednesday, March 23, 2011

the lies of boy bands

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2392332/the-good-girl?claim=hsr9skdknhs">Follow my blog with bloglovin</a>


It's a cool night, a little too much on the cool side. Maybe six to eight degrees warmer and it'd be waterice worthy, and the setting sun would go just perfectly with the sticky fingers that come along with a Rita's medium Lemon waterice as I lean back in my car, the traffic inching by.


But it's not warm and I'm driving and N*Sync's 'This I Promise You' begins to blare through my speakers and my little sister and I turn to each other and begin belting the song out, loving the nostalgic feelings that come with squeaky boy bands with bleached crunchy curls and gyrating hips that my then ten year old self didn't quite understand.


And then it hits me. Boy bands are liars. Well, maybe not so much the band as the songwriters, but it's just a bunch of straight up BS blaring through my speakers as we roll down the windows, laughing at how we remember each and every word and amazed we once took this music so seriously.


As I was listening to the lyrics of the song, I realized how it's just a piece of crap. Like, it's not true. The lines being fed to preteen girls are outrageous. And listen, I love boy bands. I loved Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Five, and I squealed/shrieked/almost fainted when, in my freshman year of NYU, I attended a cabaret with a performance track I was in and realized none other than Ashley Parker Angel from O-Town was sitting just a row away from me.  So I get it. My second concert (my first was Linkin Park...hahaha) was N*Sync. And it was awesome.


But today when I was driving I realized how little girls are just straight up fed lies. These particular lyrics in the song interest me:


"I'll be your strength,
I'll give you hope,
Keeping your faith when it's gone
The one you should call,
Was standing here all along..

And I will take
You in my arms
And hold you right where you belong
Till the day my life is through
This I promise you"



I guess I just have issues here. If this song came out now and I listened to it as a 21 year old, I wouldn't really care much for it. But back then, listening to it when I was like, 12 or something, of course I clung to it. What girl doesn't want to believe boys truly feel those things? And I'm not saying THEY DON'T. There's awesome men out there. But actually, high school relationships and relationships in general are a lot of damn work. 


Girls are constantly fed these storylines from songs, from movies, from books. Just look at 'Twilight.' I don't even want to start on my hate for 'Twilight' but it is seriously disturbing how many little girls are absolutely obsessed with this series. And what is the main point about the series? How vital it is to have a boyfriend. Bella and Edward have this obsessive love where, when Edward leaves Bella in one of the books (the 3rd I think) she literally becomes self-destructive. She even passes up acceptance to Dartmouth. It's depressing.


I'm not cynical and I'm not a love-hater. I love love. Romantic love, family love, friendship love. Any kind. I'm just saying little girls shouldn't wait around for a guy described in the song above or a guy like Edward. Instead they should see that they already have a guy who's madly in love with them. And his name is Jesus and he is Lord and Savior.


When I look back at those lyrics and I think about them in terms of God, I am blown away. Because that is truth. I'm not bashing relationships. I'm not saying everyone should be single. I'm just saying that I wish when I was a 12 year old girl I would have known that the Creator of the Universe knew my name and loved me. He loved my frizzy hair, my smile when I ate a chocolate chip cookie. He loved my obsession with books, he loved my recoiling at drinking and partying and cussing. He loved me when girls were mean, or my parents fought--he even loved me when I conformed to the masses of other 12 year old girls and wore the same clothes as them to fit in. He LOVES me. My heart aches for little girls out there who don't know this, who are still on that cusp of innocence and haven't yet been tempted to buy that short skirt or listen to Kesha or watch anything that isn't a cartoon and don't understand the purpose of mascara. 


I don't know how to end this post because I don't really know what it means. I guess it just means maybe God put that demographic on my heart for a reason....to pray for them, to work with them one day. Not sure. Anyway. I'll end with a quote from John F. Kennedy



"A child miseducated is a child lost." John F. Kennedy


Truth, JKed. So much truth. 


Love & good quotes & Twilight hate (always),
Nina.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post, Nina. :)

    I've often looked back at my childhood, so full of Disney princesses as it was, and been frustrated at all the lies it taught me about relationships. I know that upbringing has had a huge impact on how I view relationships right now, and it's not good. The relationships in Disney movies were so idealistic, so perfect, so "happily ever after." And, like you said, relationships are a lot of damn work.

    And then I look at today's young girls and fear for them. What is Twilight teaching them about relationships? That real love is all-consuming, obsessive, dark, secretive, etc. I think our society will reap the consequences of this in a few years, and it scares me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so it took you this long to realize that boy bands have lied to you since the beginning? how long will it take for you to realize the same about religion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. This is so funny because this morning I had the TV on in the background while I was getting ready. Suddenly a music video popped on the screen and it was a new boy band singing an utterly cheesy song. I had to laugh because boy bands are just not "in" anymore and I could not believe the lyrics! Definitely targeted at the pre-teen/teeny bopper audience...

    On the subject of Twlight... oh man. I think the novels are decent to a point. But, the movies are just plan AWFUL. One of my professors constantly tells us, "If you wake up and find a glittery man watching you sleep- you should call the cops."

    Have you read the Hunger Games series? (I know I'm going off on a tangent, but I just got caught up in your post!) Anyway, I happen to think these novels are amazing- especially since everyone is human in them. I'm actually afraid of what is going to happen to them when they get turned into movies! I feel like movies tend to ruin good books. Okay, end rant. Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! You don't think about the lyrics when you're younger at all, you just belt them out! I used to love NSYNC, and still do haha, but now the lyrics seem a lot more cheesy than I remember. I worry about young girls too, they don't have many good role models in the media to look up to. The Disney channel stars start off wholesome and then end up stripping for magazines when they get older and more famous. I wish there were more shows and artists for young girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. probably the best post i've read in a freaking long time. brilliant.

    ReplyDelete