Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"I shoulda known.."

Have you ever been in a relationship that has ended and you look back on it and you realize the moment when you should have known the end wouldn't be pretty? I love these moments. I'm talking specifically about dating...because usually in that context, it's funny. Now I know I say 'I love these moments' and that might sound a little...depressing, because who likes when relationships go wrong? But actually, I think finding humor in sucky situations is an amazing thing. The ability to truly laugh in life is just the best. I love laughing. It really is a medicine. Anyway. I was once with someone (who shall remain nameless) who wasn't impressed with this song. It's John Butler's 'Ocean' (John Butler Trio). My little sister Christina once showed me the song and told me how she cried the first time she heard it, and the minute I listened to it I fell in love. So I youtubed it for this person that I was with and I remember dancing around, literally just full up to the brim with joy!!! Especially toward the end of the song when he goes just...crazy on the guitar. It made me want to be wearing a long skirt in a meadow under a blue sky in another world, literally just dancing around, and then running on the beach screaming so loud that my voice and the waves are mixed all together--
"Cool."
That was what he said. Actually, that's giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm pretty sure he just grunted or something, ignoring me. A month later we broke up. And today, when I was cleaning out my bookshelves getting ready to sell a bunch of stuff on Amazon, I was blaring this song and as I held my old beat-up copy of Catch 22 in my hands I thought, "Yep. Shoulda known then."

It makes me laugh because it's silly and really, really true.
I think that's all for today. Go listen to that song and just smile, take a drive, drink iced coffee...it's a good day.
Love & really good songs that make you want to dance around by the ocean,
Nina.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog - via 20sb. Wanted to stop in and say hello! I read a few of your posts and really love your writing and your honesty!

    ReplyDelete